Current Issue

June2, 2010

Vol. 110, No. 15

memorial

Bayard Underwood ’38

Published in the June2, 2010, issue

Bayard Underwood died March 13, 2010.

Bayard prepared for Princeton at The Hill School. At Princeton he majored in chemistry and belonged to Tower Club. He roomed freshman year at 20 Nassau, sophomore year at 83 Patton with Charly Kamm, and junior and senior years at 103 Patton. He studied painting at the Art Study School in New York City. He married Rosalind Spiller in 1939, but the marriage ended in 1951.

Bayard studied architecture at USC and then moved to Cambridge, Mass., where he attended Harvard’s School of Design and earned a master’s degree in architecture. He subsequently entered private practice, becoming a partner in Lawrence, Shannon & Underwood.

In 1956 he married Lois L. DiNoto and they moved into a house he built in Concord, Mass. In 1963 Bayard founded the Shakerton Foundation Inc. to promote Shaker art and architecture. Sharkerton held exhibitions and lectures throughout Massachusetts.

Bayard and Lois moved to Groton, Mass., in 1983, and he opened a studio providing opportunities for area artists. Bayard’s most important architectural work was the restoration of a building to house the Smithsonian’s National Collection of Fine Arts, and the remodeling of churches in Boston, Ipswich, and Ayer, Mass.

Bayard is survived by Lois; his children, Sally McFarland, Kathleen Malarky, Consuello Marshall, Anne Sroka, and Sarah; stepdaughter Donna Cordisco; 11 grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren. The class extends condolences to them.

The Class of 1938

Post a remembrance
Post a remembrance
Bayard Underwood
Enter the word as it appears in the picture below
Send
By submitting a comment, you agree to PAW's comment posting policy.
CURRENT ISSUE: June2, 2010

Memorials Search:

Search:
mudd archive memorials
PAW's online memorial repository currently contains the full text of all memorials published since 1989. To find a memorial published in PAW before this time period, please check the Mudd Library Archives.
no space