Dick Bowers died June 28, 2008.
He entered Princeton from Frederick (Md.) High School and joined Cannon Club. Dick served in the Navy from 1943 to 1945. He received a medical degree from Johns Hopkins University in 1947 and completed a general-surgery residency at Baylor University in 1953. While he was at Baylor he joined the Air Force as a commissioned officer and served at Lackland Air Force Base from 1952 to 1954.
He practiced general surgery at St. John’s Hospital in Anderson, Ind., for 35 years, serving for a time as its chief of surgery. During his practice in Anderson, he volunteered for service in “Project Vietnam,” which involved care for Vietnamese civilians injured during the war.
Dick retired from general surgery in 1989 and moved to Florida in 1997. He was a member of the Covenant Life Presbyterian Church of Sarasota at the time of his death, but had been a longtime member of the Presbyterian Church in Anderson.
He is survived by his wife, Georgia; sons C. Richard II ’72 and William D.; and a daughter, Antonia Wright, to all of whom the class expresses its sympathy.