What delicious ironies in President Tilghman’s page in the April 6 issue:
• Men are underrepresented in leadership positions in arts organizations and community-service groups.
• Women are underrepresented in leadership positions in student government and eating clubs.
• Men’s overall academic achievement is not as great as women’s.
• Women’s academic achievement in terms of reaching the highest 5 percent is not as great as men’s.
• The president of Princeton decided to do something about this.
• That president and the former president of both Duke and Wellesley formed an 18-member committee to study and make recommendations concerning just the second and fourth imbalances, which they did, giving new guidance to freshpersons, upperclasspersons, and faculty.
• Those two presidents are women.
Browsing Letters 2010-2011