John died peacefully May 2, 2011, at his home in Terrace Park, Ohio.
He was born in Evanston, Ill., and graduated from nearby New Trier High Schol. At Princeton, he sang in the Chapel Choir, played in the band, and was a member of Whig-Clio and Court Club. John graduated with honors in the Special Program in Humanities, concentrating in classical languages.
In 1952 he earned a master’s in classics from Harvard. He was working toward a doctorate there when he was invited to teach at The Hill School in 1954. At Hill, he taught Latin, Greek, and humanities as the Elizabeth B. Blossom Chair of Humanities.
John’s profound intellect, warm spirit, and thoughtful generosity deeply affected the lives of hundreds of Hill alumni and colleagues throughout his 45 years of remarkable service. He retired in 1999 and moved to Terrace Park to be close to his family.
John spent part of each summer in the family cottage in his beloved Wisconsin Northwoods, where he had gone since his birth. He and Nancy, whom he married in 1969, traveled abroad many times.
To Nancy and their children, Gina, John, Rusty, and Sandy, we extend our sympathy.