(Courtesy Princeton University Art Museum. Roman, Mosaic: birds in rinceau, 526–540 A.D., Stone, h. 113.5 cm., w. 206.3 cm., d. 10.0 cm. [44 11/16 x 81 1/4 x 3 15/16 in.], Gift of the Committee for the Excavation of Antioch, y1965 227.)
In March 1932, Princeton archaeologists began a dig in Antioch, Syria, that would turn up some 300 ancient Roman floor mosaics, some of which now reside in the Princeton University Art Museum and McCormick Hall.