Al died Aug. 4, 2005, at his home in Dundee Township, near Elgin, Ill. He had just turned 90.
Born in Elgin, he entered Princeton from Choate, majored in philosophy, rowed on the 150-pound crew, and was a member of Cap and Gown. Al began his business career with his family's iron-foundry firm, Woodruff and Edwards in Elgin, interrupting his work there to serve as an engineer with the tank division of the Chicago Ordnance District during World War II.
After the war Al returned to Woodruff and Edwards, became vice president, and continued with the company until his retirement in 1970. While there he also served on the executive committee and as a director of Cook Electric Co. in Chicago.
In retirement he kept busy with various real-estate projects. He was a longtime member of the First Congregational Church of West Dundee, where a service celebrating his life was held in August.
Al is survived by his wife of 66 years, the former Ruthie Farmmiloe; three children; four grandchildren; and two great-granddaughters. To Ruthie and her extensive family, the class extends its warmest sympathy. We have lost a loyal Princetonian, classmate, and friend who will be much missed.
The Class of 1937