Jim died Mar. 4, 2004, in his native West Virginia.
A Tower Club member, Jim graduated with honors from the Woodrow Wilson School. He earned a law degree from U. Va. in 1953. Soon after, he was called into the Air Force as a judge advocate for two years.
During his lifelong practice of law, Jim served in both the W. Va. House of Delegates and Senate in the 1960s. He chaired the W. Va. Judiciary Council, W. Va. Manufacturers Assn., and National Council of Coal Lessors, and looked after the family businesses. Jim's expertise in natural resources and corporate law was recognized when he was named honorary trustee for the Eastern Mineral Law Foundation and Coal Lawyer of 2002.
Jim was an intelligent, friendly, witty man who, with his wife, took up croquet seriously when tennis became too demanding. They helped get croquet offered at The Greenbrier, where they maintained a second home. An active member of the Episcopal Church, Jim was involved in many civic organizations and was past president of the Princeton Alumni Assn. of West Virginia.
We share Jim's loss with his wife Ouida, whom he married a month after graduation; his sons, James H. IV and Lewis C.; five granddaughters; and his brother, William '53.
The Class of 1950