Architect and professor of architecture Bob Taylor died Dec. 8, 1999, after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease, in Oakmont care center, near his Pittsburgh home.
His Princeton studies were interrupted in 1942 by service in the Air Force as an instructor for P-40 fighters. Returning in 1945 to study architecture, he graduated AB in 1947 and in 1949, MFA with the AIA medal.
In 1949, Bob joined the faculty of Carnegie Tech, also keeping a private practice, before returning in 1959 to Princeton as associate professor of architecture. In 1962, he rejoined Carnegie Mellon U. as full professor, remaining until he retired in 1990. Popular as a professor, he was also recognized as "a superb studio teacher and articulate commentator and critic." Practice in the 1950's was as principal at Shear, Spagnuolo and Taylor, and then Curry, Martin and Taylor. Subsequent solo practice included residential and public work. From 1958-59, Bob served on Pittsburgh's board of education, and from 1971-90, on the board of trustees of the Winchester-Thurston School.
He is survived by his wife, Ann Baldwin Taylor, three daughters, Margaret Ellen, Elisabeth Baldwin, and Mary Katherine Golightly, two sisters, and six grandchildren; also cousin John C. III '47. Cousin Joseph W. '46 predeceased in 1986. To all his family, the class sends its sympathy and great regret.
The Class of 1946