George "Gerry" Sheppard died Sept. 15, 1996, in Laurens, S.C. Although born in Houston, George was virtually a lifelong resident of Laurens. He prepared for Princeton at the Hill School. Gerry's father was George B. Sheppard '17.
Gerry's Princeton career was interrupted by service with the 20th Air Force on Guam, after which he took a degree in chemical engineering in 1948 and entered the bottled gas business with his father until 1962, when he sold the business. He then became a heating/air conditioning contractor until 1967, when he joined the natural gas department of the Commission of Public Works of Laurens, becoming superintendent. George was active in his community, serving a term as president of the Laurens Lions Club and as an elder of the First Presbyterian Church.
George is survived by his wife, the former Anne Thomson; his sons, Frank and Tom; his daughters, Martha Wills and Margaret Slaton; his brother, Jim '50; his sister, Priscilla Taylor, and by eight grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends its deep sympathy.
The Class of 1945