JOHN DIED unexpectedly of a heart attack at his home on Sept. 10, 1989. He was born on May 2, 1922, in Trenton, N.J. John came to Princeton from Lawrenceville, where he was a member of the varsity crew, the Press Club, and the Periwig Dramatic Club. During freshman year, he roomed with Jere Meserole in Henry Hall, and during sophomore and junior years, he roomed with Meserole and Clint Ivins in Hamilton and Little halls. He rowed on the freshman and varsity crews, was a member of Cannon Club, served as secretary of the Princeton Engineering Society, and received an M.S. in civil engineering in 1943.
John entered the Navy in Annapolis for training as a midshipman. He served on the U.S.S. LEE in the Atlantic and on the U.S.S. PERRY in the Pacific and was discharged as a lieutenant (j.g.) in 1946. He then went to work for the Alpha Cement Co. in Easton, Penn. In 1956, he joined the Solite Corp. in Richmond, Va.; he later moved to Northeast Solite, in Saugerties, N.Y., as its V.P. In 1988, he retired to form his own consulting business. John loved to garden and to repair and rehabilitate old homes. But even more, he loved being a husband and father.
He is survived by his widow, Irma (Vonnie); two sons, Stuart and Peter; a daughter, Amy; and one grandchild. To them go our deep and sincere sympathy for the loss of this true gentleman.
The Class of 1944