Surrounded by three generations of his family, Bill died at his home in Monongahela, Pa., March 3, 2005. He was 90.
He came to Princeton via Culver Military Academy, Hotchkiss, and Shady Side Academy. He majored in engineering, played football, and belonged to Cap and Gown Club. During World War II he served as an Air Force pilot, among other assignments, flying the famous "Hump" between India and China. Bill attained the rank of lieutenant colonel and the Air Force sent an honor guard to his funeral, when he was laid to rest with full military honors.
After the war he worked in New York for Pan American Airlines and the Book of the Month Club. He later was employed by several engineering firms in the Pittsburgh area. In retirement he was a director of Kopp Glass and volunteered at Mount Pleasant Public Library. He was a lifelong member of Shady Side Presbyterian Church. Those who knew Bill best remember him as a fine gentleman who was respectful toward all kinds of people, and also as an active naturalist. We have lost a talented and tenderhearted classmate.
His wife, Mary Louise, died in 1997. The class extends sympathy to the numerous devoted members of his family.
The Class of 1937