BILL BALLARD, aged 88, died in London, Sept. 24, 1993, of a stroke following hip surgery.
Big, blonde Bill came to Princeton from Kent School and won varsity letters for crew and water polo. He was president of Tiger Inn and a member of the Right Wing Club. He received his M.F.A. degree in architecture from Princeton in 1932. In 1934, he established his own architectural firm in NYC. From 194246, he was in Italy with the air force in air target intelligence, emerging as a It. col. He received the Bronze Star and Order of the British Empire.
In 1946, he became a member of the housing consultants firm of Harrison, Ballard & Allen and later of Ballard Todd Associates. Recognized as a national authority on slum redemption, he was appointed chairman of New York's Planning Commission in 1963 by Mayor Wagner. On his retirement in 1966, Bill received the Woodrow Wilson Award from Princeton for "significant service to the nation." He also served as president of the Princeton Architectural Assn.
He first married Lucinda Ballard. He later married Martha Muggey (who died in 1945). Then he married Bettina Wilson (who died in 1961). He is survived by his fourth wife, Paula Clank, who in he married in 1962; a son, Robert; a daughter, Wendy; and seven grandchildren.
The class joins them in mourning the loss of one of its most distinguished members, whom THE NEW YORK TIMES'S obituary described as "playing an influential role in deciding how this City would rebuild and retain its essential architectural character."
The Class of 1927