BILL DIED Feb. 20, 1991, of cancer at Princeton Medical Center. He joined us in that memorable summer of 1942 before entering the Army and returned to receive his A.B. in 1949 and M.F.A. in 1952.
Bill was a prominent Princetonian architect and was considered a pioneer in restoring and preserving old buildings for modem use. Bill began his professional career in N.Y.C. with Holden McLaughlin and Assocs. and was selected by Frank Lloyd Wright and the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation to supervise construction of the Guggenheim Museum in the late 1950s. Partnership with Robert Venturi in the early sixties was followed by ten years of private practice in Princeton.
In 1974, he joined Jeremiah Ford III to found Short and Ford. Among his projects were the restorations of Drumthwacket, the official residence of the governor of New Jersey.
Bill was an early proponent of affordable housing and received a merit award for design excellence from the American inst. of Architects and the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development for projects in Princeton.
Bill served the National Trust for Historic Preservation as one of two of N.J.'s advisers, was a member of the board of trustees of the NJ. Historical Society, and served as a trustee of the Historical Society of Princeton. He was a member of the Charter Club and was a member of the Alumni Council, A.P.G.A., Class Advisory Council, and was Class secretary and Class agent.
just as he was an undergraduate, Bill was throughout his life a quietspoken, modest, and kindly gentleman. We shall miss him, as will the whole Princeton community. Bill is survived by a brother and sisterinlaw, Winthrop and Janet Short, and three nephews. To them we extend our deepest sympathy.
The Class of 1946