A Princeton native, Don died May 19, 2006.
Don's father and uncle owned the Princeton Clothing Co. at 17 1/2 Witherspoon St. and his parents' apartment was above the store. He attended the Nassau Street School leading up to Princeton High School. That's about as native as one can be. Don graduated in June 1949 with honors in chemistry. He was in the Navy from 1945 to 1946. He was active in the Hillel Society, Liberal Union, and Sigma Xi.
Don was an academic, a professor of chemistry after earning his master's and Ph.D. from Columbia. He taught briefly at the University of Minnesota and for five years at the University of Chicago prior to arriving at Clarkson University in 1961. He was at Clarkson until achieving emeritus status in 1991. Don and Eleanor Oliver were married in July 1955 and produced three daughters, Deborah, Susan, and Marion, and a son, Daniel.
Don's devotion to his faith continued throughout his life. He served as president of the Potsdam (N.Y.) Jewish Congregation, secretary-treasurer of the North Country Synagogue Coalition, and was on the executive committee of the Conference on Rural Judaism.
To Eleanor and their children, the class offers condolences on the death of a true Princetonian.