I am actually a second-generation Butler resident — my father, John Hewitt *66, mother, and older sister lived there in the mid-’60s. Missing from the heater discussion was October or November of 1990, when the old heaters (they were about the size of an old-fashioned large-console TV, if anyone remembers those) were discovered to emit carbon monoxide. They had to be removed, and were all ripped out in one day. Naturally a cold spell set in immediately, and it took about a month of shivering before the new, vertical editions were installed. I stopped by our old apartment on King Street after 20 years, and it looked like they are still going strong. Also entertaining was the annual refrigerator shuffle, since refrigerators weren’t part of the standard apartment equipment.
In Response to: A wonderful life