Pro-Palestinian protesters tried to stage a sit-in at Clio Hall Monday night, and at least two were put onto a bus by police. Dozens of others blocked the front and back doors and said they would not leave until charges were dropped and the University agreed to negotiate their demands.

Protesters entered the building at around 5:15 p.m. and the last of them were released by Public Safety officers just before 8 p.m. The crowd dispersed toward Cannon Green, where organizers started to move blankets and supplies from their camp in McCosh Courtyard. 

In all, 13 people were arrested and given summonses for trespassing, including five undergraduates, six graduate students, one postdoc researcher, and one person not affiliated with the University, President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 said in an email. He added that all those arrested have been barred from campus and students will face University discipline, which may include suspension or expulsion.

“I appreciate that this incident was and remains deeply upsetting to many people, including especially the staff of the Graduate School,” Eisgruber said. “It is also completely unacceptable. Everyone on this campus needs to feel safe and to be safe. Faculty, students, and staff must be able to conduct University business without disruption, harassment, or threat.  We will continue to work to ensure that this campus is one where all members of the community feel welcome and can thrive.”

Shortly after protesters entered Clio Hall, two of them — Ariel Munczek Edelman, a masters of public affairs candidate, and Sam Nastase, a postdoc researcher — were removed and held on a University bus for about an hour while others remained in the building. At one point, Professor Max Weiss addressed the crowd of a few hundred people over a bullhorn.

“Everyone must clear the road in order to allow the following to occur,” Weiss shouted. “All of the students, those on the bus and inside of Clio Hall, will be issued a summons and released. If you do not disperse, the Princeton Police Department is here and will begin arresting people.” 

At the back of Clio, people locked arms to block the entrance to the building. A few shouted for those who are American citizens to move to the front, to protect the international students behind them. 

Graduate student Aditi Rao came out of Clio and waved a summons at the crowd. “I got arrested so we could get a meeting,” she shouted. “I got suspended so we could get a meeting. … I say we hold it.” The crowd began chanting “Hold it, hold it.” Just before 8 p.m. the protesters dispersed from Clio Hall onto Cannon Green, where they continued to chant.

A couple of Public Safety vehicles were present, and earlier the protesters surrounded one, linking their arms. Some banged on the bus with their hands and cracked the glass on the side door while trying to open it. Meanwhile others walked around offering bottled water and granola bars. One protester collapsed and was being helped. 

At about 7:20 p.m., some of the people inside Clio had left and the protesters began chanting: “Admin admin talk to us. We hate your f— bus.”

A separate arrest, classified in the Public Safety crime log as “assault: criminal trespass,” was recorded near Whig Hall at 7:53 p.m. The Daily Princetonian identified the arrested student as David Piegaro ’25 and wrote that he was not participating in the sit-in.

Monday marks the fifth day since students and others began a pro-Palestinian encampment in nearby McCosh Courtyard. When the encampment was set up Thursday morning, two graduate students who tried to pitch tents were arrested. The encampment has been quieter since, with professors giving lectures and students following the University’s order to not pitch tents or sleep outside.

Protesters also chanted earlier at a CPUC meeting Monday afternoon. Jay Groves, the faculty member who chairs the CPUC resources subcommittee — which makes recommendations to Trustees on divestment questions — gave an annual presentation and said they did not receive any proposals on divestment this year but received a lot of messages today. USG president Avi Attar ’25 then gave an annual presentation as well. 

Right afterward, a group of about 15 people began shouting pro-Palestinian chants. Eisgruber tried to keep the meeting going, and the protesters were handed cards. Then they left, still chanting.

This is a breaking news story that will be updated.