WE LOST OUR highly honored professor when Pink died onianuary 26, 1991, in Ann Arbor. George was born in Chicago on Sept. 2, 1901; his father was a member of the Princeton Class of 1893. Chicago Latin and Lawrenceville prepared George for Princeton, where he enjoyed the PRINCETONIAN, Triangle, Whig Hall, and Cap and Gown Club, yet graduated Phi Beta Kappa.
George remained at Princeton until 1942, earning his M.F.A. and teaching art history. After service as a Navy lieutenant, 194245, he joined the Univ. of Michigan in 1946. He chaired the department of fine arts from 1947-61, was director of the Kelsey Museum, 196169, and research professor of archaeology until 1972.
George directed archaeological expeditions in France, Turkey, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, and Egypt, publishing the results of these studies in many articles and two books. THE CHURCH OF ST. MARTIN AT ANGERS (1953), done during his years with Princeton's art and archaeology department, earned him the Haskins Medal for a distinguished publication in medieval studies. THE MONASTERY AT ST. CATHERINE Al MT. SINAI (1973, with Princeton's Kurt Weitzmann) was hailed as "A tremendous endeavor, a very romantic adventure ... very significant in terms of scholarship." Another colleague described George as " . . . extremely meticulous in his assessment of evidence ... every line he drew, he drew knowing why."
George is survived by his wife, Prof. Ilene H. Forsyth; a daughter, Blaikie F. Worth and a son, George Allan Forsyth '53, from his marriage to Eleanor Marquand; a daughter, Hope F. Platt, from his marriage to Mary Hayes; and eight grandchildren.
The Class of 1923