A graduate of Gorton High School in Yonkers, N.Y., he enlisted in the Army in 1942, serving until 1946 in the Signal Corps in Africa and the European theater, and for a short time in foreign service in the American Embassy in Rome.
At Princeton, he graduated with high honors in art and archaeology and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He continued at Princeton to earn a master’s degree in 1953 and a doctorate in 1963. He moved on to Cornell as an associate professor and director of the honors program in art history, continuing until 1968, when he accepted a full professorship at Bucknell. He taught there for three decades, passing on his love of art to his many students.
In addition to teaching, he was honored with numerous awards. He served as acting director of the Bucknell Center Gallery, board chairman for the Packwood House Museum, president of the Mid-State Artists Association, and director of Bucknell University Honors Council.
Jim is survived by his son, James; three grandsons; and two great-grandchildren. He was predeceased by Elizabeth, his wife of 57 years.