He grew up in Waterloo, Iowa, and came to Princeton from East Waterloo High School. He was a member of Campus Club and majored in the School of Public and International Affairs, writing his thesis on “Scientific Management and Collective Bargaining.” Jim was also in NROTC and graduated as a Navy ensign. He served two years active duty in the Navy aboard the USS Deuel and then attended Yale Divinity School, receiving his B.D. in 1958.
Jim was ordained in the Presbyterian Church USA and served as pastor of First Presbyterian Church of West Carrollton, Ohio, (1958-1972) and College Hill Presbyterian Church, Beaver Falls, Pa., (1972-1985). He then became associate executive presbyter of the Pittsburgh Presbytery (1985-1997). In retirement, Jim moved into Sherwood Oaks in Cranberry Township.
Jim is survived by daughters Bridget and Jane; his son, Calvin; four grandchildren; and one great-grandchild. He was married twice and predeceased by both wives.