Ken graduated from McCallie Military School in Chattanooga, Tenn. He majored in architecture and was a member of Cannon Club. His special interests included fishing, hunting, and folk music.
After service as an officer in the Army Corps of Engineers from 1954 to 1957, he practiced architecture on Johns Island, S.C., and developed skill as a forensic architect, which was of special value after Hurricane Hugo in 1969. After the hurricane he opened his own business on Johns Island and was licensed to practice in 50 states.
He was a cradle Episcopalian and active churchman. Ken received his acolyte training and sang in the boys’ choir at Grace Episcopal Church in Anniston, Ala., where his grandfather had served on the vestry and as senior warden. Years later in Johns Island, Ken became acolyte master and served as a lay eucharistic minister, vestryman, senior warden, and chairman of the building committee, assisting in designing and constructing the new Walton Hall.
Ken enjoyed singing and “picking” bluegrass, woodworking, drawing, and boating. His wife, Rita, whom he met at a marina, shared his passion for boating and bluegrass. They were married May 4, 2005.
Ken is survived by Rita; sons Robert and John; his brother, Jack; grandsons Marshall and Christopher; granddaughter Paige; and several great-grandchildren. He was predeceased by son George.