After earning an A.B. in philosophy at Princeton and receiving a bachelor’s degree in sacred theology at the General Theological Seminary in New York City, Lin went on to ordination in the Episcopal Church.
While studying toward his master’s and doctoral degrees at GTS, he served as assistant rector of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan and later as chaplain at Leake and Watts Foundation’s home for orphan boys in Yonkers, N.Y.
Lin began teaching at Swarthmore College in 1957 and served on numerous committees throughout his 32-year tenure. He was passionate about academia and loved teaching and interacting with his students. He helped found the Department of Religion and establish Partners in Ministry to support the continued spiritual nurturing of a Christian and interfaith ministry on the campus.
Lin was the author of two books: The Power of God and A Short History of Christian Thought. He retired in 1992 as the Charles and Harriett Cox McDowell Professor Emeritus of religion.
Lin is survived by his wife of nearly 70 years, Nancy; their children Joan ’80, David ’80, and Ann; and four grandchildren.