When the Kingston Trio performed in Dillon Gym Nov. 5, 1960, C.F. Martin III 1916, center, head of the Martin Guitar company, was there to listen — and perhaps celebrate. The Kingston Trio, at the vanguard of the late-1950s and early-’60s folk-music boom, was largely responsible for the resurgence of the acoustic-guitar industry and used Martin guitars exclusively. Martin had to build a new factory to keep up with demand fueled by the Kingston Trio’s popularity. With David “Buck” Wheat, second from right, who as upright bass accompanist was the fourth person on stage, are trio members, from left, Dave Guard, Bob Shane, and Nick Reynolds.
Courtesy C.F. Martin Archives