The summer months saw progress on several major campus construction projects.
Finishing touches are all that remain on the new home for the Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment at the corner of Prospect Avenue and Olden Street; researchers are expected to begin moving in by early fall and the first classes will be held there in February.
Interior demolition of the former chemistry building now known as 20 Washington Road is nearly complete, and work has begun on replacing the 900-plus windows. The building will house the economics department, with an entrance on Washington Road, and several international programs, with a new entrance facing Scudder Plaza and Robertson Hall. Glass-enclosed meeting rooms on the rooftop facing Washington Road are taking shape.
Installation of the concrete and steel superstructure of three new buildings for the Lewis Center for the Arts and the music department is nearly complete along Alexander Street south of McCarter Theatre. The buildings are to open in the fall of 2017. The first phase of the arts-and-transit project — a new Dinky station and Wawa store — opened a year ago.
To the east of campus, major repairs have been underway on the Lake Carnegie dam, built in 1907. Construction crews expect to complete restoration work on about a quarter of the 27-foot-high dam’s buttresses and other concrete repairs by October. Work on the remainder of the dam will take place at a future time.